Tuesday, January 13, 2015

There is a bat in the trash.

When I pick Laithe up from school I always ask what his favorite thing from the day was. Yesterday he said "My favorite today is that there is a bat in the trash." His friend was throwing something away in the trash can and saw something moving. Laithe went over and looked and it was a bat! A real live bat. It was attempting to climb out of the trash can. The janitor came in and covered the trash can and then took it outside (to release the bat?). The story sounds ridiculous and I can't imagine a room full of 4-5 year olds with a live bat. You'd think it would be something the teacher would mention at pickup? After asking many specific details about the bat incident to verify the legitimacy of the story, it seemed true. I had to email his teacher about a conference and in closing remarked that Laithe had told me about a bat in her classroom. She responded and said yes, there was a bat but none of the children saw it. Hmmmm. He still swears he saw it and has given very specific details about the bat, as well as demonstrating what the bat looked like trying to climb out of the trashcan. His favorite thing today is saying "you're driving me batty." Har har har.

I'm looking into some freelance writing opportunities. I'm brushing up with creative writing exercises. Todays exercise is: Create a character with personality traits of someone you love, but the physical characteristics of someone you don't care for. I found it difficult to think of someone that I actually know who I don't care for. I ended up thinking of two people, oddly enough I know them both from the same place! Obviously I'm not going to post many details for fear that they would find out they are assholes. If I think back 10 years ago I could probably list many people that I didn't care for. I suppose one of the benefits of getting older is narrowing down your circle of friends, or even acquaintances. I have 3 very close friends where we currently live (as well as forever friends all over the country), then I have the group of people from my book club (who are all amazing & fun), and then I have acquaintances (from the gym, husbands work, etc). I feel like 99% of the people I see on a daily basis are really great people that are worth wearing out my introvert energy to interact with. Anyway, back to the assholes, who needs 'em? I try to have very limited interaction with these two people. I feel exhausted after spending any amount of time with them because they are difficult people. The bullshit is so high in these terse interactions, I feel like I spend my entire time forcing a smiling and pretending to believe them. The personality traits of these two combined would create the ultimate unlikable character. I can already see myself rooting for that antagonist to get squashed by a boulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...