Monday, May 13, 2013

Quad Cities Distance Classic Race Report

I can proudly say my first half marathon since Kai was born is complete!
Yesterday I ran the Quad Cities Distance Classic.
The course started in front of Augustana College and ended in the Augustana stadium.

My plan on Saturday was to stretch, foam roll, hydrate, and rest.
I didn't really accomplish any of those....Laithe had a soccer game, Andy took him while I stayed home with Kai and cleaned the house.  Then Laithe and I went to packet pick up.  After we got home we quickly ate dinner and then left to go to a River Bandits baseball game.  On our way home from the game Andy suggests TACO BELL, which we never eat- great idea before a race!  Haha.  Of course I couldn't resist and ate two Doritos tacos.
I was really nervous all day on Saturday.  My stomach felt like it was in knots and I kept thinking about the race.  My husbands reassured me by talking about all my training, the fact that the last half marathon I did I was pregnant, and reminding me that I literally have to just put one foot in front of the other.

I set all of my gear out so that I would be ready in the morning.  We've been running in temps that have been in the 60's and 70's but Sunday morning was going to start off in the 30's!  So it was back to running in tights and a light jacket.  I also brought a pair of gloves.

I went to bed around 10:15 and of course I couldn't fall asleep.  I would guess that I got about 4 hours sleep, I kept waking up and checking the clock.  Hopefully now that I have this half under my belt I will lose some of the race day jitters in the future.  I finally got up at 5.  I drank 2 cups of coffee and read the news, trying not to worry about the race (yeah right!).
I ate a Luna bar and a banana and headed out to pick up my friend Jamie.

We got to Augustana at 6:45 to pick up our timing chips.  We had plenty of time to stretch and try to talk away some of the race day nerves.

The race started a few minutes after 7:30.  After about a half mile I was starting to feel warm and wanted to trash my gloves.  I kept them on until I saw a trash can at mile one and I set them on top (because I'm super nice like that).  Right after the first mile is a giant hill.  Ugh, it was a killer.  A lot of people were walking up it, but I managed to run up the whole thing.  Then I felt like I would die.  Haha.  The first two miles of a run are definitely the hardest for me.  Shortly after mile 2 I had to take off my jacket.  That was a little bit of a struggle since I had to pull it off over my hat while trying to hold on to my arm band...plus I was already super sweaty so it was sticking to me.  Good thing the guy taking pictures was right there...

I knew that after mile 3 there was a good downhill section and I was already really looking forward to it!  I was getting pretty tired by the time I hit mile 4.  I took my first Gu right before the water station at mile 5 and I could feel a difference almost immediately.  

At that point we were running through downtown Rock Island and I was looking forward to the portion of the course that ran on the Mississippi river front.  As soon as I hit mile 7 I thought "Yay! Only 5 more miles!"  Then the realization hit me that 7 + 5 is not 13.  Hahaha, it was a defeating feeling to say the least. The 7-9 miles were through Sunset Park.  At about 7.5 miles there was a TREE down over the course that you had to climb over or go around. Mile 10 ran on the path directly on the riverfront...the part I had been looking forward to...was so windy and so cold.  There was dust flying everywhere and I was so thankful that I had my sunglasses.  I took my second Gu at the 11 mile marker/water station.  I like Gu, but I think I'm going to try some other things while I'm training for the Chicago Women's Half.  With Gu I feel like I have to stop and drink water or I'll die, maybe the chomps?

During mile 11 all I could think was "This is so stupid, I don't even like running this much."  Then I hit mile 12 and I was happy again.  Especially when I saw people walking back with their medals!

I crossed the finish in 2:26.  I had made my public goal under 2:30, my secret goal was under 2:25, so I was really happy with my time!  After I got my medal I grabbed a cookie and a drink and sat down for a while.  You may be wondering....why wasn't Andy there with the boys?
Kai has been sick and since it was cold I told Andy not to bring the boys out.
Luckily when I got home I got to cross another finish line-
I didn't get emotional crossing the half marathon finish line, but I definitely teared up crossing the one at home!

After stretching and taking a long hot shower, we headed out for Mother's Day brunch where I ate ALL. THE. FOOD.

Good thing my medal matched my outfit!




We finished out our day by relaxing and reading stories-

It was a great Mother's Day and I'm looking forward to running in Chicago next month!

Also....we are registered and our flights are booked to run the Honolulu marathon in December!
Marathon training....here I come!





3 comments:

  1. Congrats! What a perfect way to spend Mother's Day!

    I love reading the mile by mile emotions in this report. Hee hee. And funny that there was a tree down! It's like it was a trail race!

    Curious to hear what you think about chomps if you decide to try them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!!!! way to go...I would get so emotional at the sign at home that is so sweet...good luck with continued training for your next run.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...