Friday, March 29, 2013

Running...running...running...

Last year when I was training for the Chicago Women's Half Marathon I always felt disappointed.  I was never as fast as I wanted to be.  I wanted to run a sub 2:15 and I could never quite get my long runs where I needed them.  I always felt like I should have pushed harder or ate different or cross trained more.

This time I have a completely different attitude.  I don't care.  I don't care how long it takes me to run it.  I don't care if my training runs take all night.  I'm finally enjoying it.  I'm enjoying spending time with my friend, Becca, on long runs.  I'm enjoying showing Jenna she can do so much more than she thinks she can.  After all the schedules and appointments we have during the day, I'm enjoying my long alone run after Andy gets home from work.

I can't remember a time where I *REALLY* enjoyed running.  
I've enjoyed the group atmosphere of running races.
I LOVE free t-shirts.
I would proudly wear every medal I have every day.
But I don't think I actually liked it.

And now I get it.
I'm not running to be faster than someone else or go further,
I'm finally running for all the right reasons
and it's awesome.

I asked Kim for some advice about running at night and she wrote an entire post about it!  She is an amazing runner- seriously, the things she is capable of are mind blowing.  I can't wait to meet up with her this summer at the Chicago Women's Half Marathon where she is going to be pacing her friend Anne

I'll be running in the Easter Egg Scramble 5k tomorrow morning, then heading to the zoo.  I'm also getting up bright and early for an 8-miler with Becca on Sunday before hunting for Easter eggs (that are filled with my favorite candy....)

Have a happy Easter!




4 comments:

  1. yeah for finding your real true reason for running...this race will probably feel even that much more of a success...and btw i think amazing how much running you are doing after baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you so much for the shoutout and nice words!

    I am really excited you are enjoying running now. And I love reading about it and can't wait to meet you at the race! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm getting so excited to go to Chicago again!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...