Friday, January 4, 2013

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty



Description from GoodReads.com:


Remember the woman you used to be ...

Alice is twenty-nine. She is whimsical, optimistic and adores sleep, chocolate, her ramshackle new house and her wonderful husband Nick. What's more, she's looking forward to the birth of the 'Sultana' - her first baby.

But now Alice has slipped and hit her head in her step-aerobics class and everyone's telling her she's misplaced the last ten years of her life.

In fact, it would seem that Alice is actually thirty-nine and now she loves schedules, expensive lingerie, caffeine and manicures. She has three children and the honeymoon is well and truly over for her and Nick. In fact, he looks at her like she's his worst enemy. What's more, her beloved sister Elisabeth isn't speaking to her either. And who is this 'Gina' everyone is so carefully trying not to mention?

Alice isn't sure that she likes life ten years on. Every photo is another memory she doesn't have and nothing makes sense. Just how much can happen in a decade? Has she really lost her lovely husband forever?

My review:


I really enjoyed this book!  It was an easy read that flowed well.  In the past I’ve always felt like I needed to concentrate really hard on books of this nature (frequent flash backs on the past, trying to keep it all straight), however Moriarty did a great job keeping everything simple.  It was easy to connect with Alice and to understand her confusion, as she was drastically different than the person she was 10 years ago.  There were many times that this book made me stop and think, how would I see things if I forgot the last 10 years?  (I definitely would wonder how I ended up married to the guy I broke up with in high school!  Ha ha.) 

I found all the characters to be relatable.  I enjoyed getting to know Elisabeth and Frannie better through their homework and journal entries.  As well as learning more about Alice’s past 10 years through their eyes.  The characters were all well structured and surprisingly there weren’t any that I blatantly disliked (there’s always at least one!). 
I would definitely recommend this book.  It was an uplifting and inspiring read that makes you think a lot about fate.  One of my New Year’s resolutions is to keep a journal; this definitely reinforced the importance of remembering your past!

What Alice Forgot was the December selection from Peanut Butter Fingers


Read Julie's review as well as those of other bloggers on January 7th!

Be sure to friend me at GoodReads.com/ThreeMenandAMommy



6 comments:

  1. Great review! I really enjoyed this book too. It really makes you think about not taking things for granted and I also made me wonder how different my life might be 10 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! It was a great, easy read! Sometimes those end up being my favorites!

      Delete
  2. love your review...i thought the same when i read this book...and i kept thinking how a person can really change!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad you liked this book. I actually enjoyed it, too (despite all the "frustrations"). :) I was really entertained learning about what was different in Alice's life between the present day and 10 years before, and it made me wonder what will be different in my life in 10 years. How would it surprise my 29-year-old self?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your review! I can't even begin to imagine how different my life will be in 10 years!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...