Monday, January 28, 2013

Welcome Kai to the World

  Kai Andrew born January 22, 2013 at 8:49pm

It's difficult to recall Kai's birth story because it all happened so fast.
We sat down for dinner at 5:45pm on Tuesday.  I felt my first contraction shortly after.
It was approximately 30 seconds long.  I felt my second contraction 12 minutes later as we were cleaning up.  I texted my sister at 6:10 telling her I was going to take a shower and that I was having contractions 12 minutes apart.
My neighbor, who must have psychic powers texted me around this time asking if everything was ok.
I told her I was having contractions and she came to pick up Laithe at 7:00pm.
My contractions began rapidly increasing and by 7:30pm they were about 5 minutes apart so we called the midwife.  The contractions were so strong that I couldn't talk and handed the phone off to my husband.  We left for the hospital 7:45pm.
On the way to the hospital I told my husband
"They are too close together, this isn't right, we aren't going to make it."
Needless to say, it was already getting really scary and out of my control.
The hospital is 5 miles from our house (about 15 minutes due to 5,000 stoplights on the way).
I could barely walk by the time we got to the hospital and of course I am stubborn and refused a wheelchair.
I was admitted in to triage at 8:10pm.
The nurse asked me to change into a gown and she would be back to check me.
I was drenched in sweat and kept asking yelling "WHY IS IT SO HOT IN HERE??!!"
Things were still funny to the husband at that point and he kept saying "I think it's just you..."
Things that also came out of my mouth waiting on the triage nurse to get off break or whatever she was doing-
"I THINK I'M DYING!"
"SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT!"
"WHY AREN'T THESE PEOPLE HELPING ME!!!???"
The triage nurse returned at approximately 8:20.
At this point I was becoming somewhat frantic as she asked me questions
about my medical history, religion, etc. (isn't that why I PRE-registered?)
Finally she checked to see how dilated I was.
She looked up at me with an "oh shit" face and immediately called for another nurse.
She smiled and said, "Ok!  We're going to hurry up and transfer you to another room! You are dilated to 7, so we're actually going to just keep you in this bed."
Me- "Wait! What about my epidural!?!?!"
Nurse- *lying to me* "Ummm...I'm going to put the order in right now."
Me- *relieved* "Good, I thought it was too late."
By the time I got to the room, it was about 8:35pm.
The midwife was there waiting with another nurse and immediately began hooking up monitors.
She checked me and I was dilated to 8.
Me- "Can I have an epidural now? Where is the anesthesiologist?"
Midwife- *shaking head* "No, no, it's too late."
Me- "OH MY GOD!!!"


The husband was standing next to me holding my hand, trying to keep me calm.
One of the heart rate monitors started going off as the midwife was breaking my water.

That's when shit got crazy.

Suddenly, there were 10 people in my room. They were literally grabbing people out of the hallway to help, I looked up and saw a doctor that I knew from another practice, in plain clothes, prepping an IV for me.
Then I heard someone come in the room and say "The OR is prepped."

UMMM.....WHAT?

The husband kind of got pushed to the side during all of this and kept saying "I love you! Everything is going to be OK!" but I could tell he was panicked.
I had been laboring on my hands and knees and they had literally thrown a sheet over me taken off.
On the way to the OR there were so many people trying to explain so many things to me.
It was hard to process because I was in so much pain from the labor and I felt like I was going to go into shock.
I heard "Baby's heart rate." "Emergency C-Section." "Quickly as possible."
When we got in the OR I was moved to the table.  There were so many people talking over me and talking to me.  There were 15 people in the room.  It was loud and hectic and I was flipping out.
They strapped my legs down because I kept trying to pull them up when I had a contraction.
Then a man leaned over and put his face within inches on mine and said "It's all going to be over in 30 seconds." Then "It's all going to be over in 15 seconds."
And that is the last thing I remember.
I later learned that angel was the anesthesiologist.
Kai was born at 8:49pm, approximately 4 minutes after I entered the operating room.
He entered the world screaming.

On the backside of this, the husband was flipping out.  No one had told him what was going on. They just told him to wait.
As he is pacing back and forth someone coded in the operating room.
Obviously he really began panicking at that point.
He said it was the most traumatic and terrifying experience of his life and it's still upsetting to think about how he felt when he didn't know what was going on.

They brought Kai to him and someone finally explained that I was ok.
I woke up around 9:30 and saw my husband with Kai and immediately began crying (with relief).
Then the doctor began explaining everything that had happened.
Kai did have the cord wrapped around his neck, however she said that his heart rate should not have gotten as low as it did, especially because he was screaming as soon as they got him out.

While we were in the hospital he was referred to as "the baby that caused all the trouble."
I hope that is not a foreshadowing to his life. Eeek.
Out of an average of 1700 live births per year, the staff told us they experience less than one true "emergency" c-section a month.
Their definition of "emergency" was when they feel they have less than 5 minutes to complete the operation. Fortunately for us, they had just completed training and drills the previous day.

It's hard to believe that so much happened in such a short amount of time.
It was really traumatic and I'm glad that the husband and I had decided that we wouldn't have any more kids....I honestly don't think I could do it again.

We were in the hospital for 3 days. 
Kai finally got to meet his big brother on Friday the 25th.
(There was a flu ban at the hospital and no one under 18 was allowed to visit)

We are all healthy and happy, now we're just focusing on family and my recovery.

Thank you to the beautiful, talented, and amazing Casey for taking Kai's newborn pictures.
You are the greatest and I'm so lucky to have you for a friend.







10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! What a story! Wow. Just wow. Thank heavens they knew what to do and were prepped!

    Kai is so beautiful. I love the pics. How are you feeling? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! We were so lucky to have skilled doctors and nurses!
      I'm feeling really good now, still sore from surgery but definitely able to do more than I thought I'd be able to!

      Delete
  2. oh my gosh...how scary things things were and SO quickly. what a blessing to have such skilled staff their with you...so happy to hear you and kai are doing so well...all that dark hair he is adorable!!!

    i had to laugh at your comment about the nurse asking all the questions even when you preregister...when i went in with my youngest...mind you it is 3:30 in the morning -the front desk lady asked me the date of my last period...WHAT? I yelled I don't know I am going and began walking to the maternity floor...lol
    xoxo enjoy cuddles with your lil' man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! I really don't understand what the pre-registering is all about? I was trying to survive through each contraction and I'm sure she thought I was being dramatic. Haha

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, Jess! I'm so grateful that everything is okay! Little Kai is so precious, and I hope y'all are cherishing every single moment right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are definitely enjoying lots of quality family time!

      Delete
  4. Wow! What a rollercoaster ride. Kai is so precious and I'm glad everything turned out okay. So scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so glad everything turned out ok! Kai is adorable, congrats!!!!! I hope you are recovering well and everyone is adjusting well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camille! We're doing well and enjoying our time at home as a family!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...