Friday, January 11, 2013

Babyproofing Your Marriage...Or Not



Partial description from Goodreads.com:

The Babyproofers are three women who wouldn't trade their roles as mothers for anything, and they love their husbands deeply. But after living through it and hearing the stories of hundreds of other couples, they know that with young children in the house, you need to block the stairs with baby gates, put plastic covers over the outlets, AND take the necessary steps to safeguard your marriage.

"Babyproofing Your Marriage" is the warts-and-all truth about how having children can affect your relationship. The authors explore the transition to parenthood in light of their own experiences, with input from their husbands and commentary from men and women across the country. Their evenhanded approach to bothsides of the marital equation allows spouses to understand each other in a whole new way.

With loads of humor and practical advice, the Babyproofers will guide first-time parents and veterans alike around the rocky shores of the early parenting years. Don't fall prey to common relationship pitfalls: Babyproof Your Marriage

My Review:

If this is your first child...do not read this book under any circumstance.  It will make you this that suddenly your loving, helpful partner is going to turn into a lazy, sex crazed neanderthal.
If you already have a child then this book will make your husband look like a super hero.  My husband was glowing as I repeated the stories of the dead beats in this book.  One man said he just couldn't take the sleepless nights after the baby came.  Instead of telling his wife he needed an effing nap, he told her he had to go to Chicago for work.  He then booked a flight and hotel for 2 days so that he could "take a break."
Wow.  That guy doesn't need counseling, he needs a punch in the face followed by divorce papers.
This book was funny, mainly because the stories were so ridiculous and the ways to "baby proof" your marriage were absurd.  Women talked about not being able to shower for 3 or 4 days and basically falling apart.  I get it, having a baby is rough, but this book makes women look helpless.  
I definitely would NOT recommend this book to anyone.  If you choose to read it (or listen to it as I did) take everything that is said with a grain of salt.  
If you are on the journey to be a mom for the first time, I give you this:
Having a baby kind of sucks and rocks for the first two weeks.  You are delirious and tired and hungry and your hormones are insane...but then you kind of figure out what you are doing and things get better.
And take a shower, will you?

Any good recommendations for marriage or parenting books?
Be sure to follow me on Goodreads!




3 comments:

  1. Ha! Your review makes me laugh. I have to confess that I'm terrified (as in really, truly terrified) of having kids. I know I want them, but I'm afraid of how everything is going to change in my life. When I am ready to be a mom, and if I'm blessed to be pregnant or adopt, I don't think I'll be reading any books like this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not! I enjoy reading "self help" type books, so hopefully I'll come across something that productively links parenting and marriage!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I remember people telling me when I was pregnant with Bay such great nuggets like, "enjoy that hot meal... once that baby comes it won't happen." BS. People just like to be dramatic and scare people. Unless you're a complete helpless drama queen, you will get through just fine... showers, hot meals and sanity. If you're husband was a dirtbag before, no it won't get better, but you probably should kind of know that already.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...