Friday, December 28, 2012

Winter Emergency Car Kit

I never ever thought that this would be necessary.
We don't live in the middle of nowhere, we're 5 minutes from downtown Davenport
(yes, I get it, that is the middle of nowhere for a lot of people, ha!).
Last week it was raining when we left to go to Laithe's playgroup.
About an hour after after we got there, it turned to freezing rain so we started heading home...
what is normally a 15 minute drive turned into over an hour.
It was an actual blizzard. 50+ mph winds and white out conditions. Whoa.
Growing up in the midwest I've never been scared to drive in the snow, but having Laithe in the car with me completely changes things.
I always figured we would be close enough to home that it wouldn't be a concern.
Then just north of here people were stuck on the highway for a day,
A DAY!
Granted if we got into a desperate enough situation,
I'm sure there are enough McDonald's french fries under the seats to sustain us.
Eeek.

Winter Emergency Car Kit

  • Flashlight
  • Extra Batteries
  • First Aid Kit
  • Wipes/Toilet Paper 
  • Jumper Cables  <--Already in my car
  • Blanket
  • Road Flares/Warning Triangles  (and I have a GLOW STICK in case a rave breaks out)
  • Lighter
  • Matches
  • Knife or scissors
  • Snacks (Clif/Luna Bars because we keep them in the car anyway!)
  • Water (I have a Diet Coke?)
  • Plastic tarp
  • Gloves
  • Tow rope
  • Ice Scraper <--Already in my car
  • Plastic bags


Do you have a winter emergency kit in your car?  Have you ever had to use it?

4 comments:

  1. That is the perfect idea...I live in WI and don't have an emergency car kit *gasp* I know I know...and I just got a new car this summer and don't even have jumper cables...wow I need to get on this today...thankfully wal-mart is on our to do list! Thanks for the reminder...glad you & son made it home safely...it is always scarier driving with kiddos in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is something I never thought we would need! We had a really mild winter last year, prior to that we lived in Texas so it was definitely something I didn't have to worry about!

      Delete
  2. That is so scary! Stuck on the highway for a day? In a blizzard? Very frightening. I've never though to have an emergency kit for winter weather conditions in the car - but it is much better to be safe than sorry. Thank goodness you are both ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I couldn't believe that people really get stuck, I always thought that was in movies - haha!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...