Monday, December 3, 2012

Dare to DIY: Thumbprint Reindeer Ornaments

The theme for Dare to DIY this week is "give handmade."
Perfect!  Considering 75% of our Christmas gifts have been handmade this year.
I've seen several ideas for incorporating your child's thumbprint into a DIY Christmas ornament.  I have especially liked the reindeer ornaments (originally saw them at little bit funky).  I decided we would make some to accompany the gifts that we've already made (Easy Bookmark/No Sew Fleece Blanket).  They were so fun and easy!  I think next weekend we will make snowman ones!


Materials Needed:
Ornaments (any solid color)
Brown or Tan Craft Paint
Black Sharpie (I used a Sharpie Pen)
Red Sharpie (or craft paint, I used paint)
A kiddo (or you could use your thumb, but that seems creepy)


 Step One:  Paint your kid's thumb.  If they are older, they can probably just stick their thumb in some paint.  A little guy with full access to paint?  No thanks, I'll handle it.
Step Two:  Have them put their thumb print on the ornament.  We were able to fit approximately 5 thumbprints per ornament.  (Some ended up with four, depending on the spacing)
Let dry.

 Step Three:  Draw two dots for eyes.
 Step Four:  Draw a bigger one for the nose.
Step Five:  Draw antlers.
Step Six: Add your kid's name and the year on the bottom.
(If you have more than one kid doing this, it's probably a good idea to do this part first and them have them put their thumbprints on- that way you don't have to worry about separating them)
 Step Seven:  If you have red craft paint or a red Sharpie, you can make one reindeer into Rudolph.
I used craft paint and the corner of a foam brush.
Step Eight:  Hang one on the tree and send the rest to adoring grandparents (and Aunt Dani)!

This post is part of the Dare to DIY challenge hosted by
maybe matilda - NewlyWoodwards - Decor and the Dog - Two Twenty One

11 comments:

  1. Cute idea!! I'm sure the grandparents will love it! Thanks for joining the Dare to DIY this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with finger and hand print art, so this is definitely a must-make for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Especially when it's something we can keep forever! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. These turned out so cute! I love the little reindeer faces. We just made handprint ornaments with Henry for grandparents. A six month old with paint was quite an adventure. Thanks so much for linking up to Dare to DIY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Paint and little ones always makes for an exciting time! :)

      Delete
  4. I love this and like how it will be easy even for the little ones (I've got a 1 and 3 year old)! I think I'll do this for the grandparents too. Very nice job! Oh and good tip to write their names on it before you start thumbprinting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely perfect for any age! A one year old will probably be easier than a three year old! Ha! My son wants to shove his whole hand in the paint! :)

      Delete
  5. These are too cute! I might just have to give these a try with the kiddo I nanny for!! Thanks for a fun idea and great tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really fun and so easy! Would be a great surprise for their parents!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...