Wednesday, November 14, 2012

DIY Christmas- No Sew Fleece Blanket

My cousin made me a no sew fleece blanket when I was pregnant with the Big One.
It is the most used item in our house.
It is always on the back of the couch and it doesn't seem to matter what the temperature is,
one of us is always using it!

When thinking of gifts to give this year, it seemed like an obvious choice.
However, you have to time it well with fleece being on sale.  It is surprisingly expensive, typically around $10 a yard & you need approximately 5 yards to complete each blanket.  Who wants to pay $50 for something they then have to make themselves?  Not this lady.
I've been watching ads for JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, and Hancock Fabrics.
Hancock had fleece on sale last week for 50-65% off.
Bingo.

I also purchased a "kit" a few weeks ago at JoAnn's.  Basically a kit comes with two cuts of fabric and directions similar to those I am going to give.  These can be a GREAT deal if you find them on sale and have a coupon to use with them.  They typically run about $30 before sales/coupons.


Time:
Takes approximately an hour start to finish,
probably less if you are working without a toddler
and pregnancy oreo breaks.

Materials Needed:
2 1/2 yards of fleece (print)
2 1/2 yards of a complimenting color fleece
Pinking Shears (or scissors)
Ruler

Step One
Prewash the material.  

Step Two
Find an area where you can lay the fleece out flat. (I use our bed)
Put wrong sides together.

Step Three
Cut 5 inch squares from each corner.  I like to use pinking shears for all the cutting, only because to me it makes the edges look "finished."  Feel free to use regular scissor.s

Step Four
Cut 1 inch sections 5 inches long, for the length of the fabric.
(I also trim the end with the pinking shears)

Step Five
Tie the top & bottom sections together.
(measuring.  38 inches.  everything is always 38 inches)

Step Six 
(feel free to skip this step)
Dinosaur fight

Step Seven
Done!

Wrap and give!

Definitely an easy project!  Will definitely be a well used gift!

**If you are making a blanket for a child, use cuts of fabric that are 1 1/2 yards.  I made one for the Big One last week and it is MORE than big enough**

Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...