Friday, October 12, 2012

31 Days to Prepare for Baby, Day 12- Attach Your Furniture to the Wall


I would never ever say that we were not prepared parents.
We read books, we talked to people with kids, we took every jerks advice.
We bought everything.
We bought the BEST of everything.
I really thought we had it together...

Choking on hot dogs?  
Not MY kid, we'll smash those suckers up.

Falling down stairs?
Not MY kid, we have a gate secured to the wall.

Dresser fall over on him?
What? Why would I need to worry about that? MY kid doesn't climb on things.
Does he?
Would he if I left, oh...let's say, a bag of M&M's on top?
Or a favorite toy?
He might...
Just how much does that dresser weigh?  How much damage could it really do??
I can't move it by myself, hmmm, that seems pretty heavy.
Look up weight of dresser- 124 POUNDS
Uh-oh.

If knowing that a dresser SPECIFICALLY designed to go in an infant/toddler's room is 124 pounds doesn't convince you to attach your furniture to the wall, maybe this will:

"I heard the crash.
It was really loud. I just remember looking into the doorway and seeing the bottom of the dresser, but not Brooke. I panicked when I realized she was underneath the dresser. I was only able to partially lift the dresser myself because I had just had a major back surgery. My effort had gotten the weight of the dresser off of her head, and I was hanging on with all my strength. I was screaming for my husband, Matt. He was there instantly and literally threw the dresser from her into the corner of Bradley’s room. I saw her reaction…she shuttered or jerked a little and then I saw the blood coming from her left ear."
Read the rest of Brooke & Laurie's story here.
Laurie Rahn has used this experience to become an advocate for securing furniture.  Please support her and her family's effort by shopping their Etsy store
The first time I read Laurie & Brooke's story, I couldn't stop crying.  Then I couldn't stop feeling guilty. I closed the Big One's bedroom door and wouldn't even let him go in until I got the furniture straps on his dresser.
You can order furniture wall straps on Amazon, such as these: Safety 1st Furniture Wall Straps
To help spread the word about securing furniture, I am going to offer a giveaway.
Please share this post as well as Laurie's story with everyone you know!
I am going to select one person using Rafflecopter to receive an item of their choice from Brooke's Angel Wings.
The giveaway will end on November 1st, 2012 and the winner will be announced within 48 hours.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

5 comments:

  1. Jess,
    Thanks from the bottom of my heart for sharing Brooke's Story with others to raise awareness. Everytime it is shared, I know that maybe we reach another family. Thank you for being a partner in raising awareness about the dangers of unsecured furniture in our homes. Hugs, Laurie & Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica, just wanted to say our furniture straps came in the mail yesterday. Ever since reading your post and Brooke's story, I couldn't get. it out of my head... When we lived in Kentucky our furniture was strapped to the walls, but after moving here it just never got done. My husband isn't too happy because this being an old house the walls are plaster and apparently a pain to work with, but it will get done. So thanks for the reminder. Oh and sorry about you having sciatic pain, I had it bad with both pregnancies and it sucked. I hope it gets better!! ~Dita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for the opportunity to share Brooke's story! It's so easy to overlook the simple things that keep our kids safe.
      Seriously, this sciatic pain is the worst! I don't know how I'm going to survive until Andy gets back!

      Delete
  3. Great blog Jess. Thanks so much for sharing their story, it's an important reminder that I won't forget. Adding the straps to our baby registry now. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the advice! Definitely things to think about! The hot pink angel wings are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...